Eclectic Wanderings

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Fiesta Hermosa

Ok, I lied. The next major music event will be Bluesapalooza. But this weekend I just had to slip down to Venice, jump on my bike, and ride down to Hermosa Beach for Fiesta Hermosa and some more live music.

Fiesta: from the root word festus, meaning "festive, joyful, merry,"

And all three of those words definitely apply to the atmosphere at Hermosa. I think it is an incredible benefit to be a member of the race we call mankind, where humans get together and share their creative joy with others. (Bears or armadillos don't do this, for example).

The tribute band Harmony (Three Dog Night) was playing when I arrived, and spreading the joy of their lively music.

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls now
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
Joy to you and me

A 55 year old Business Man, a 35 year old Soccer Mom, a 25 year old Fat Chick, and a 4-5 year old Skinny Black Boy all got up to dance in front of the stage on one of their numbers. Just the four of them and they were all interacting and having a great time. I thought, What Diversity? And not the BS government version.


You know I love the ladies
Love to have my fun
I'm a high life flyer and a rainbow rider
A straight shootin' son-of-a-gun

The other tribute band was Space Oddity (you guessed, a David Bowie band). Not only did this band have the sound, riffs, feel of the original but the singer looked just like David Bowie. The long narrow face, the gestures, poses and all. Of course the wigs did help create the image. (You know I am probably a crappy critic. I just enjoy the music so much I don't find anything wrong with the music or bands). They played a large number of the mainstream hits going all the way back to the Ziggy Stardust days, and up into the 80's. Also, surprisingly, they played some not as common tunes, like TVC 15. Overall, a crowd-pleasing performance.

Don't let me hear you say life's taking you nowhere, angel
Come get up my baby
Look at that sky, life's begun
Nights are warm and the days are young

And on the Beer Garden Stage I first saw a bit of Myron Barnet & the Pistolers. They played a driving rock-blues-funk style which seemed to suit the beer drinkers and the afternoon sun.

And then, later in the Beer Garden, a local South Bay favorite, Tres Hombres took the stage. They are a classic rock cover band, which does an admirable job on most all the tunes I heard. They are great party-time favorites (or was it just late in the afternoon after most of the crowd had a few beers) and had they whole area in front of the stage filled with a variety of dancers. These ranged from groovers in their early 20's to a booty shaking white-haired fan in mid to late 60's.

What a great way to spend an afternoon! On the ocean, at Hermosa Beach, listening to a great variety of live music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home